Productivity is a matter of concern, not only for web developers, but for any other person who is trying to accomplish a given task. You must have noticed that every time you sit down to accomplish a particular task, you feel an overwhelming desire to leave it and do something else instead. It is a true fact that consciously or unconsciously, we all love distractions.
However, as web developers, you can make some small changes in your daily work routines that are bound to enhance your way of working along with improved outcomes. In order to streamline your workflow in an effective manner as well as to ensure quick and smooth movement of the web development cycle, you can seek help from the below given tips.
- Understand the Big Picture This means that instead of putting all your focus on the small and scattered tasks that you are handling, allow your mind to look at the bigger picture from a bird’s eye view. Although, smaller tasks will keep you engaged, they might even be responsible for your loss of focus. On the other hand, trying to understand the bigger benefits that are waiting to happen will keep your motivation levels high.
- Plan your Day Instead, of jumping in to accomplish the task that comes to your notice first, it really helps to plan your day in advance. Prioritize the various tasks that you need to complete within a given day and start with the one which ranks high on this priority list. Work in 60-9- minute intervals with enough breaks in between so that your mind gets time to relax. Also, be very strict about distractions. If the need arises, work with your room closed and all your electronic gadgets put on a silent mode.
- Do Research before Writing the Code Instead of directly sitting down to create a code, it always helps to conduct some research first. You may come across an umpteen number of open source libraries but each one of them may not be what you are looking for. You can seek help from a web development framework which will force you into adopting some of the best coding practices. In addition to this, you can have a directory/folder of source codes, which you often use, in a place that is easily retrievable.
- Focus on One Task at a Time Although, most of us have developed a habit of switching from one task to another at lightning speed and doing everything all at once, this actually contributes to a serious loss in productivity. Instead, focus on completing one thing at a time and you will find that you are able to accomplish much more during a day as compared to when you were multi-tasking.
- Have the Right Tools and Plug-ins If you are a web developer, you will require a lot of software tools and web development apps which will help you in accomplishing your tasks. Hence, it is important to have a complete set of the right tools handy along with a sound knowledge on how to use them effectively. Instead, of collecting every kind of tool that you come across, focus on collecting the ones which you can use comfortably. Some of the useful plugin are listed here
- Do you use eclipse? Check out these Powerful Eclipse Plugins
- Do you use maven? Check out these Awesome Maven Productivity Plugins
- Do you use a android mobile or tablet? Check out these Useful Android Apps
- Read Some Good books - checkout our list of most influential books for software developers.
- Spend time attending in person trainings and online webcasts.
- Stay connected with related technology news, blogs and feeds.
It is not a strict rule of the thumb that you will become productive by following all the above given tips. This is because each one of you is different and hence, things that work for you too tend to be unique. However, in a nutshell, these are some of the basic changes that you can make in your day to day lives to achieve better work satisfaction by performing more than what you have been doing till now.
Always remember, achieving high levels of productivity is all about paying equal attention to the bigger picture as well as the daily tools and tricks. Balancing your efforts between these two will put you on your way to a more productive life.
Are there other productivity rules you’ve found particularly useful?