25 Best Free Maven Plug-ins to Make Java Developer More Productive
Large software applications can be customized and enhanced for unique or specific abilities by adding a set of software components called plugins. Generally plugins are used in web browsers, virus scans, recognition and display of new file types.
Maven is a leading Java project management tool. A project’s build, documentation, reporting can be managed from a central piece of information. This concept is based on project object model (POM).
Maven provides a uniform build system by building a project using POM concept and plugins which will be shared by all projects. Using the right plugin in your development environment can save a lot of unwanted efforts in day to day coding and other activities. We have found that some of these plugins help automate and simplify everyday build and release related work.
The best Maven plugins we found to be really useful and time saving for your project team are described below:
- White Source's Licenses Management Maven Plug-in Any software development project that uses Open Source (almost all of us), must identify and track the OSS components it uses, their licenses, requirements, etc. This can be quite time consuming and sometimes complex for developers. White Source offers a free SaaS solution for that. The White Source's Maven plugin continuously and automatically updates the White Source repository whenever a new open source component is added, to ensure that all the open source components are immediately reported, analyzed, and reviewed for approval -without any overhead. This allows companies to accelerate the development process and manage the open source license more efficiently, and with fewer errors.
License Management Plugins
White Source provides a simple to use, yet powerful solution for companies that need to manage their open source assets to ensure license compliance in order to avoid pitfalls such as lawsuits, penalties and lost business. Developers and managers use White Source’s free cloud-based solution to track, audit and report on open source components throughout the software development life cycle. Unlike other solutions, White Source is a convenient cost-effective solution even for medium and small companies. With White Source’s easy-to-use, cloud-based platform companies can:
- Track the inventory of Open Source Software (OSS) modules used by development
- Automate the adoption and approval process
- Get continuous updates about legal and technical vulnerabilities
- Audit and report on OSS status and compliance
Project Release and Version Management Plugins
Unit and Functional Testing Plugins
Code Quality Plugins
Relational Database Integration Plugins
NoSQL DB Integration Plugins
Light Weight Web Container Plugins
Application Server Plugin
Other Utility Plugins
There are both free and paid plugins available. Even though it is tempting to go for a free plugin, developers and teams should choose the right plugin based on the requirements. Furthermore, advanced features, full support and updates for the plugin has to be checked while choosing the plugin.
I hope you found this post useful. What maven plug-ins do you use in your project? Feel free to share in comments section.