Although, Android Programming language makes use of a specialized form of Java, the two are very different from each other. Android is defined as a software stack which consists of an operating system, key applications and middle-ware. It is meant for different kinds of mobiles and tablets. Most of the companies today are making use of Android programming language for the purpose of application development and maintenance and are constantly on the lookout for experienced Android developers. Hence, learning this language will put you one step ahead of all your competitors and will help you grab the best of jobs within the industry.
Android development expects you to be familiar with Java development. Java technology has grown huge and this may discourage a lot of people since you may think that you need to learn a lot of things before you can get started. Good news is that you do not need to learn everything in Java technology to be an android developer. Focus your learning on core java and move to Android specific tutorials/resources.
As a beginner, it is best to start with Android-based websites which will give you a detailed description of all the aspects of an Android App (i.e. how does it look and feel) along with the capabilities of an Android platform.
- Official Developer Tutorial created by the android community and open source developers. This getting started tutorial is designed for beginner developers.
- Official Developer Tutorials Community Official developer tutorials created by the Android community. This tutorial is designed for experienced developers.
- Tutorial by Lars Vogel
This is a free single page web-based tutorial created by Lars Vogel.
- Android Tutorials By Core Servlets
This site contains a series of an android tutorial with exercise for each section. This site also contains some other good Java related tutorials for free.
- Android Hive
Android Hive is an android tutorials blog by an enthusiastic Android developer (Ravi Tamada), who likes to share his knowledge and experience with the world.
- Java Code Geeks
This site contains Java and related technology tutorials and some of the Android tutorials are really useful in everyday android programming.
- Edumobile – This is an android tutorial blog that is created by experienced trainers. This site also offers
- HelloAndroid – This contains some good articles with code snippets.
http://www.tutorialforandroid.com/p/android-tutorials.html – is a decent blog containing few android tutorials. The Drawing with Canvas series of tutorials on this blog is really good.
Marakana Android Tutorial– This is a simple location service example by a developer at Markana Inc. HigherPass– This site contains some android tutorials as well.
- How to Create Android Wallpaper
- Script Tutorials
- Android Tutorial By TutsPlus
- Learn Android
- Android Programmer Guru – Its a dedicated blog with dozens of short and useful android tutorials.
Free Video Tutorials
These video tutorials are a very effective way to start out with Android. The massive tutorial series available online contains tons of free content, which is bound to teach you coding in the best possible manner.
- Chet Haase Android Tutorials on YouTube – Some really good and simple tutorial by google developer and author CHET HAASE on youtube are
- By Udemy
- By OreillyMedia
- By MarakanaTechTV
- By Android User Group
- XDA Developers
Other YouTube Playlists
The web is loaded with hundreds of free e-books on Android programming which contain all the fundamental concepts pertaining to the language, both at the beginner as well as advanced levels. You will not only be introduced to the language but will also get to learn important application like creating the user interface, connecting to the network, storing data, etc.
- Android Tutorial By Stanford University
- The Complete Android Guide
- Android Tutorial
- Commonsware Android
- E Reading Llib Android eBook
- App Inventor eBook
- Android Security eBook
Free White Papers
There have been many companies doing parallel research on Android and its abilities. These are some of the great advanced reading references that you can use to be an expert at android development.
Best Free Web Forums To Ask Questions
These free web forums will help you become a part of the worldwide Android community where you not only get a chance to seek solutions to your own problems but can also share your own knowledge and expertise with others.
Before you jump on to a forum make sure you check the frequently asked questions on it, for example, this FAQ at Stack Overflow
Best Free Cheat Sheets For Java/Android
Java cheat sheets will act as your quick reference guide for Android applications as well. It contains all the important information in a nutshell and helps you take a quick look at the various concepts.
- Computer World Cheat Sheet – Android Cheatsheet
- Cheatsheet for Graphic Designers – Graphic Design on Android
- DZone Android Cheatsheet –DZone Refcard on Android
- Android Guidelines Cheat Sheet By Kinvey –Android Guidelines
Learning something big from scratch is almost always a difficult thing — you simply have no clue how to get started. I always get overwhelmed with loads of information floating around the web.
To be an expert on Android, learning Java is required but not enough; it is also important to master the Android application concepts.
- Updated On June 2019: Fixed Broken links and updated minor typos.