10 Excellent Open Source VPN Server Solutions
Wondering how to have your own open source VPN server? Can you download free VPN server ? There are plenty of options available as open source software. Setting up a VPN of your own can be really easy with open source VPN servers.
We have a round up of best open source VPN servers to setup up your own VPN. Unlike enterprise VPN solutions, using a open source VPN software will not cost you a fortune.
You can easily download VPN software on your computer and start using it for personal privacy. However, the VPN setup may be more involved if you are setting it up for your business.
Protecting your data is not easy on web. When you are doing business it becomes even more important to secure your confidential data from malicious hackers around the web. VPN (Virtual Private Network) is one of the most effective way to secure your data. Many enterprises use VPN solutions to protect data from going into wrong hands.
VPN connections are important for business establishments because of the sensitivity of the data that are being transmitted across the web. It is quite easy to use snooping software to crack the connection and trap the packets that are being transmitted through the web.
Both wired and Wi-Fi connections don’t allow the basic security of the data. VPN setup thus allow a secure connection which encrypts the data and ensures that it cannot be tapped into.
There are dozens of VPN server solutions available, some of them are free and most of them are paid. Below are some open source and free options to setup VPN server for your home or business.
- OpenVPN It’s an open source Virtual Private Network solution that is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems and offers a secure environment to connect to your network. OpenVPN allows simplified OpenVPN Connect UI, OpenVPN server capabilities and enterprise management capabilities. It also allows a secure environment for access to your private cloud network resources.
- The Securepoint TERRA It’s a wired VPN gateway which is a secure service for small companies for having their own private networks. The built in firewall allows secure remote access using PSec, OpenVPN (SSL), L2TP and PPTP VPN. One of the major benefits of Securepoint TERRA wired VPN gateway is its compatibility with other VPN systems.
- Tunnelblick It’s a free open source VPN GUI which works between your computer at one end and the VN on the other end. It works for the Mac OS versions and is based on OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
- Tomato VPN It’s a free open source VPN server which is based on Tomato 1.27. It offers automatic adding and removing of firewall rules as needed, Site-to-site tunnels creation sans custom configuration, option to redirect the internet traffic through the network tunnel and accept and push DNS options.
- iPIG It’s free VPN server which works with only Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 or Windows Vista (32bit). iPIG works seamlessly with major firewall software like Zonealarm or Norton Internet Security. It uses a powerful 256-bit AES encryption technology which ensures that your connection with any WiFi network or wired network is completely secure. iPIG can secure your data against any forms of snooping or spying technique. What’s more, the iPIG server express edition allows up to 5 users free of charge.
- LogMeIn Hamachi LogMeIn Hamachi is a VPN server which supports both Windows and Mac OS systems to create a secure private network which can be created on demand across any internet connection, for both compute and mobile users. LogMeIn Hamachi can be managed across the web securely. LogMeIn Hamachi also offers multiple options for networking including Gateway Virtual Networking, Hub-and-spoke virtual networking and mesh networking. It works for Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
- Shrew Soft’s VPN It’s a 64 bit VPN which is compatible with the Windows 7 64 bit version. It became popular when Cisco failed to upgrade its VPN to 64 bit and found that Shrew Soft is a better alternative. It is compatible with most VPN hardware manufactured by major companies such as Cisco, Juniper and Checkpoint. It is also compatible with Linux and BSD versions.
- LiliVPN It’s is an open source GUI for BSD, Windows and Linux operating systems. LiliVPN works primarily for Windows version 7.
- KOVpn It’s an open source VPN server which has features such as connect and disconnect, username and password input, supporting multiple open source VPN connections, and has a feature called Kwallet which stores all login details. Furthermore, KOVpn supports the open VPNS management interface access control.
- OAST OAST is a platform independent GUI for OpenVPN-client, which allows the user to manage multiple VPN connections at a time. It has an overall simple look and feel to it and has simple functions like monitoring the connection status.
Hope you found this list useful, What is the VPN solution you have use? Please don't forget to share with me in comments.