Becoming a Java developer is a great career choice right now as everything is moving towards digital.
First Thing First: Learn Java Thoroughly
- Step 1: Buy a Java book – If you are serious about learning java I would recommend you to start with a book and then try going online. Many beginners get distracted in online learning. These are some recommended Java books that you can choose from.
- Step 2: Use Interactive Tutorials online – These are some websites that support learning programming in browser-based setup. This avoids complex setup steps that may scare you at the beginner stage. Here is a list of some good beginners learning websites that are interactive.
- Step 3: Use Online Tutorials – Online Java tutorials are many however, you may want to focus on latest trends and best practices around java.
- More tips: this page has more tips for you to learn java on a self-paced and organized way.
Become An Expert
Some tips to get better at Java programming are below
- Do more projects for real customers. Go freelancing.
- Learn more about java performance
- Learn about open source Java libraries and how to use them.
- Contribute to open source projects.
Stay Updated About Latest Java Trends
- Check out these recent updates on java.
- Read java blogs and stay up to date always.
Start A Blog
Even if you are the best Java developer out there, the possibility of no one ever finding you is huge. You need to get your name out there and social media is a great platform for you to achieve this. You are able to connect with others and promote your business in a casual setting.
Even though this seems obvious, if you do not want to promote yourself, you have to actually apply to jobs. Go to every job portal and type in your keywords. There are many jobs posted only these days because the need for good Java developers is huge.
Keep Up With Trends
Some of us like to stick to the basics, but you have to keep on improving yourself and one way of doing that is keeping up with trends. Look at what people are looking for in job ads and if you do not have the skills yet, take an advanced course or ask someone to teach you. By constantly improving yourself, you are able to apply for most jobs in your industry. Many programming languages have a basic set of rules, but you have to be different if you want to stand out and be noticed.
Have A Great Resume
If a client contacts you, be sure to have an up to date resume. Your resume should be clear about the services you offer and how you can help the business. Do not send out a generic resume to every client. Instead, tweak your resume to align with every job you are applying for.
Improve Your Interviewing Skills
Many companies will require an interview and you need to be prepared at all time. Sometimes you have to interview soon after applying so always keep up with possible questions they may ask.
There is nothing different from getting your first developer job and any other job. Always be an expert in your field and apply all your previous job hunting skills. Let people know what you do, apply and get your resume together. Once you get the call to tell you that your first job is in the bag, you should be ready to start immediately.