If you’re a Windows user, you must know that a finding a good windows SMTP mail services are hard to find. Even if you use a common non-monitored SMTP windows service, your emails could get rejected even if its a legitimate email.
“A reliable SMTP relay service will ensure that your emails are delivered right on time and keep you out of the recipients’ spam folder.
Setting Up a Windows Server
It is a simple task to install SMTP for windows. This is an inbuilt feature and we can start the installation with the Server Manager.
- Open the Server Manager Dashboard. Click on ‘Manage’, then ‘Add Role & Features’.
- Select ‘Role-based or feature-based installation’, then click ‘Next’.
- Select a server from the pool.
- Click on ‘Next’ after selecting the role the server would play.
- Select ‘Features’. Next, scroll down the list and select the ‘SMTP Server’ feature. Then click on next.
- A new window appears to inform you that some other services can also be installed. Click “Add Features” to confirm and continue.
- Click ‘Next’ and complete the installation. Once it is completed, click the close button.
The management console named Internet Information Service (IIS) is used to manage and configure the SMTP server. You’ll need to follow a few steps to configure your windows SMTP server. These steps will help you configure the service:
- Open the management console, go to the server manager and select the Internet Information Service (IIS) 6.0 Manager from the Tools tab.
- Open the window which pops up and expands the list which shows your server. Find the SMTP Virtual Server option and right-click on to open the properties tab.
- Under properties, go to the general tab and select the IP address for the SMTP server.
- Also, check the Enable Logging button to save the details of the emails received.
- Next, you’ll need to open the Access tab and click on the Authentication button. A window will open and you’ll have to click on the enable Anonymous access option.
- Click on the connection button and set the IP for internal devices and add the same IP for the relay list.
- Delivery Tab: Click on the Outbound Security button and set the type of authentication you need over the external mail server on which your emails will be relayed.
- Click on the Advanced button and enter the name of the server in the smart host field.
- After all these settings are done, you need to save the settings and restart the SMTP virtual service and you’re all set.
This is the process that will configure the windows server with the choice of your SMTP service.
There are a few hosted SMTP servers that provide basic packs for free such as Google SMTP server, Mailjet, Amazon SES, Mailgun, etc. These are some of the popular SMTP as a service option that you can take.
Using a Controller
It is not standard practice to use an SMTP server in a production controller system, however, you can also use a controller to create a basic SMTP server as shown here on IBM SMTP.
Looking for an SMTP server can be a tough decision with the numerous options out there Using SMTP services provide you with a great option of sending your emails reliably without your email ending up in the spam folder of your recipient. Most services offer 24/7 customer support and also give you great plans if you have higher requirements.